Friday, May 20, 2011

Orchids

Orchids come in so many colors they leave me stupefied. They really highlight Nature in all its glory in their compostions and their varieties. Went to an Orchid show in Singapore not so long ago and couldn't get enough of the flowers and their colors. There were so many different combinations of colors and many never seen before by my untrained eye. Have never grown orchids but was given one as a gift during my stay in Japan. The container was as beautiful as the flower, but believe me it was hard work to keep the orchid looking healthy and beautiful as the temperatures there can be difficult to allow orchids to survive. Didn't have a green house and though I put it indoors during the severe winter, it just didn't flower again. I gave it to a friend when I left but she never told me what she did with it!!! Suspect she had no luck either!

Presently where I am it is hot and I am staying indoors. All my potted plants are looking thirsty no matter how much I water them, but the poor dears seem to come to life in the mornings and evenings when the sun isn't so strong. My lucky bamboos are also not used to the airconditioning inside the house, and I am sure they would do wonders if I could have a humidifier near them. But they cheer me up as they stand straight and strong on their bright green stems and nod their heads in salutation towards the morning sun when I open the curtains each morning. The hibiscus outside, in their beds, add color to a drab lawn with their dark green leaves and crimson shoeflowers, and the round, white buds of the jasmine send a soft fragrance across the lawn when the dry winds blow around. This what makes summer bearable believe me! 

Lots of birds these days - suddenly even the tailor bird appeared today. It camouflages itself well in the guava tree with its gentle green back and brown legs, but I managed to spot it just as I came close to the windows. Sweet little thing it is and now getting ready to build its nest for the offspring that are on the way. That's it for now dear friends, more again soon. How I wish for the rainbow in the sky - it would bring rain right?
  

No comments:

Post a Comment